Sunday, November 14, 2010

March of the Santas

They were all packed up ready to go to Phoenix when Nick dropped a bombshell on my holiday planning.

"They're creepy," he said about my Santas. "Did you ever see the movie 'Chucky'? And what about 'Toy Story'?"

I was surprised by his response. Like the time he was upset that we took down the wallpaper in the kids' bathroom. I don't know who Chucky is and I don't remember Toy Story being particularly threatening, but maybe just the idea of dolls coming to life is scary for kids. Or boys. I think Katie would have been happy to have her Kukla doll come to life. And she likes my Santa collection. They don't creep her out.

"They just stare out the window, looking creepy," Nick repeated. They actually stand in front of the window, staring at us, which may be worse. 

Jake said the same thing about the dolls in the guest room. So I put them away and wondered how many other guests thought that. Nobody ever said anything about the odd collection that included two of my childhood dolls and two from Jeff's grandma. I'll admit the flamenco dancer was a little scary, but she was given to us after abuelita passed away at 100. 

"Just bring three Santas," Nick suggested. Sure, that's easy for him to say. Which three!? That's like a mother deciding which child to take on a special trip. If I have to choose between lots of inanimate jolly old St. Nick's and my Nick, the decision is easy. Packed away they stay.     







No comments:

Post a Comment