Monday, November 29, 2010

21 years ago today

I walked around our Miami neighborhood on a late November morning, the raindrops gently washing over me.

"This is the day our daughter will be born," I knew in my heart. I wanted to hurry her along so I walked.

When the drizzle turned to rain, I walked around the pool, partly sheltered by the screened enclosure.

When darkness fell, I walked around the house.

Suddenly, the leisurely day turned rushed. Quick, we need to go, I told Jeff as he fumbled for my shoes. Forget the shoes! I wore shoes all day, walking with my daughter.  I laid on the back seat of the minivan - no shoes necessary - went from the minivan to a wheelchair - from the wheelchair straight to the delivery room. Moments later, Katie entered the world.

Eighteen months later, we moved to Hinsdale. When I told Katie she was born in Miami, she heard me say "my ami".  If anyone asked Katie where she was born, she would sweetly reply, "In Mommy's Amy."  Pretty smart for a little one!

Twenty one seasons have passed since that rainy November 29th in Miami when we walked as one. Katie learned to walk alone early and has been on the go ever since.

Every story has a beginning, middle and ending. This is Katie's beginning, she's nowhere near the middle and it's way too soon to know the ending. Still, turning 21 is a milestone, the passage into adulthood and a time to be celebrated. A time to walk together and a time to run like the wind in new directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment